Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Eggplant Promise


About a year or so ago I was at my brother's house and his wife was making dinner. We were chatting in the kitchen as the kids were playing. She asked me what my 18 month old, "H" would eat. I replied, "Whatever we eat." She shot me a look of shock. She said her kids were such picky eaters, that she was forced to accommodate them at every meal.

She asked me what sort of things "H" would eat, the first thing that came to mind was the fresh eggplant we had purchased the day before. I had big plans for that aubergine wonder! From a baked parmesan dish to a myriad of roasted options, I was stoked for this! I'm a foodie, what can I say? My sister-in-law's response? "I wouldn't even know what to do with an eggplant. Yuck."

That's it? Seriously? You don't know what to do with it so you don't buy it? I must admit that when I walk into my local produce section I see it as a culinary adventure! If there is a piece of fruit or veg I cannot remember eating, it's time to try to make something AMAZING out of it! I utilize websites like www.foodtv.com or even www.marthasewart.com and can instantly see dozens of uses for this mystery crop.

I realize that there have been times in all of our food-loving pasts where a food was just plain bad, but there are few foods that are prepared only one way. I never want to short change my kids out of a love of a particular food, just because I had it badly prepared once.

And so was born, The Eggplant Promise. I promised myself I would always try something new with the hope my kids could benefit from it. To never limit them because of me. You wouldn't believe the number of things I love now, that my mother always hated.

BTW: My sister made Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with a side of canned mandarin oranges that night. According to my brother, she is the picky eater and now so are the kids. Shock.

image via Real Food Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment