Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Acorn Squash

The first piece of fall produce we will focus on is this beautiful squash. The name acorn refers to the nut shape and maybe the slightly nutty flavor. I like using squash and many are interchangeable in recipes which I like because it encourages you to use what is on hand. But for today I wanted to use recipes that focused solely on acorn squash.

The first is Roasted Acorn Squash Salad with Goat Cheese. Now I hear some of saying, "Eww, goat cheese. I have never had it and I don't know that I want to." Well hear this: every person I have had in my house that has tried goat cheese has loved it. They all said they would have tried it sooner had they known how good it was. The consistency is like cream cheese, but it is one of the naturally lowest fat cheeses available. I
get mine with herbs already mixed in. My husband, who grew up a picky eater, spreads his on toast or bagels in the morning. It tastes just like a cows cheese, just way better.

This next one will rock your socks. It's Acorn Squash Spice Cupcakes with Orange Sage Buttercream Icing. I realize this may seem strange, but hey you make pumpkin into a pie? I love this for a halloween party or just a fun thing to make with your favorite munchkins. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.
image via liseed

No comments:

Post a Comment